Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bike gang homey...

So long story short - I went to see Paul Simon perform at BAM earlier this year and David Byrne was featured. After the show I am standing outside with my family and Byrne walks out the front door as if he is...not David Byrne. He unlocks his bike from a bike rack and bikes off in to the Brooklyn night. (This is actually not my story but it sounds better told 1st person - no?)

Becca passed this on to me after I told her my adopted story:

"David Byrne and the New York City Department of Transportation, in conjunction with New York art gallery PaceWildenstein, have unveiled nine unique bicycle racks designed by DB and installed in various locations throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn. An avid bicyclist for almost 30 years, Byrne was invited to join the panel of jurors selected by the DOT to judge a design competition for outdoor and indoor bicycle racks. Inspired by the city's initiative, he submitted some original design ideas of his own named after specific locations and neighborhoods, which the DOT enthusiastically agreed to install for a period of 364 days."

Here you can read about the details of the competition, Byrne's concept behind the bike rack designs, as well as a map showing the locations of each rack.

www.myspace.com/Spiderfang

Share on Facebook

No comments: