Thursday, October 23, 2008

My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.

Last night I attended Dibella Entertainment's Broadway Boxing. The night featured the debuts of two of the top Amateur boxers in America - Philip Jackson Benson and Tor Hamer.

Both gentleman are former Golden Gloves champions and hail from the renowned Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn. Benson disposed of his opponent in a little over 1 minutes of the first round - in a clear mismatch of talent. In an equally mismatched fight - Tor Hamer knocked down his opponent 3 times in 1 1/2 rounds for a KO.



The reason I attended this event was to see Tor Hamer. Despite being on the under card - boxing fans, including Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs of the NY Giants, came to see the man touted as the future heavyweight champion.

Hamer attended a handful of elite private and public schools in the NYC area (finally graduating from Beacon) - basically filling the role of "Bully" for as many schools as he could. He was the kid you didn't want to show up at your house when you threw a party at your parents' place. Amongst my friends he is known best for wanting to beat up my friend Jonas because his girlfriend at the time openly had a crush on him.

Share on Facebook

No comments: